Let’s face it, there are many headaches raising children but you need to have a sense of humour or else you might just lose your mind. We have compiled 12 mother truisms which might make you groan, giggle or cry… There are no guidelines or rules which can really serve you during your first parenting phase. Doesn’t matter how many “how to” books you read, real life has some interesting and poetic lessons it will teach you because that’s just the deal. Below you might get some basic notions or a-ha moments of being a parent - beyond the ideals and the fantasies out there of raising kids.
1. I WAKE UP AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF MY KIDS
Our body is not used to waking up very early in the morning and we do not enjoy it; in fact, it usually inspires grumbles and bad moods. Since we all dislike this idea, why do we now wake up early in the morning? The reason is simple, “Our kids”, they are the reason why we force ourselves out of bed every morning since we have to prepare breakfast, get them ready for school and sometimes take them to school before even having a shower. Welcome to parenthood…
2. I’LL LOVE YOU FOREVER; I’ll LIKE YOU ALWAYS, BUT IF YOU CONTINUE TO SCREAM LIKE THAT I AM GOING TO RUN AWAY OR ACT LIKE I DON'T KNOW YOU
I have used this statement on several occasions so now my kids are used to it and sometimes say it before I do. The statement above is what I utter whenever my kids do anything annoying, sometimes kids can scream so hard that you will feel like you’re losing your mind. You can simply use the statement to calm yourself but it doesn’t always work - it’s more like a fantasy.
3. I WANT MY KIDS TO BE REALLY GOOD AT MATH BUT NOT SO GOOD THAT THEY CAN COUNT HOW MANY GLASSES OF WINE I'VE HAD
Often us parents are hypocrites, we don’t want our children to be doing things we do as an adult despite knowing that those things are harmful to us. No parent would want their kid to see them drunk or observe the dad wasting their family income on gambling or alcohol. Thus, it is better to be a role model rather than being a hypocrite.
4. PARENTING IS LIKE A BABYSITTING JOB THAT NEVER ENDS. EXCEPT YOU DON'T GET PAID FOR IT
Many working-class parents usually pay huge amounts of money to a babysitter who takes care of their kids whenever they are off to work. Babysitting is not an easy job and this is the main reason why huge amounts of money are paid. Being a parent likewise makes you a babysitter and you will have to do the job without getting paid for it. The earlier we realize this, the better and easier it becomes for us to endure the stress our kids are giving us. And perhaps you can save a few bucks when you accept this…
5. HAVING A BABY CAN SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE BECAUSE YOU GET TOO EXHAUSTED TO ARGE ANYMORE
There is no perfect couple who never argue, the home is actually boring without some moments of anger and disagreements but it is crucial to handle such anger appropriately so as to bring stability to the home. When you have a baby that stresses you out, limiting your capacity to argue with your partner. Bonus…. right?
6. AFTER GIVING BIRTH MOST MOTHERS USE THEIR BABY AS PROFILE PICTURES ON SOCIAL MEDIA, NOT ONLY BECAUSE THE CHILD IS ADORABLE BUT BECAUSE THEY NEED A PIC TO PUT UP UNTIL THEY DROP THOSE EXTRA KILOS
We all get excited by the positive comments we receive when we upload our pics on social media, some moms use their beautiful baby pictures so as to escape any negative comments about their bodies.
7. HAVING MORE THAN TWO KIDS WILL INCREASE YOUR STRESS LEVELS
Whenever we come across parents moving with several kids, it can be nauseating and remind us of family planning pretty quickly. All families are lovely but it depends on how much stress you might open yourself up to.
8. LET'S ARRANGE A PLAYDATE SO WE CAN HANG OUT AND IGNORE OUR CHILDREN TOGETHER
I often tell my husband to create a playdate so we can have an avenue to escape from our kids.
9. PATIENCE IS WHAT EVERY PARENT HAS WHEN IN THE PRESENCE OF WITNESSES
We all exhibit our highest level of tolerance toward our kids in the presence of strangers even if we will still revisit issues later on. Rebuking our children outside in the presence of their friends or strangers is never a good idea, it destroys their self-image.
10. OUR KIDS ALWAYS GIVE US MIXED FEELINGS
Since kids are very playful and they do a lot of naughty things sometimes, we should not always expect our kids to make us happy, there will be times when they will do things which are offensive.
11. THE QUICKEST WAY FOR A MOTHER TO GET HER CHILDREN'S ATTENTION IS TO SIT DOWN AND LOOK COMFORTABLE
Sincerely our kids seem to always derive great pleasure in stressing us out, it might seem that this is their intention but it’s totally wrong. All they want is to keep playing and such play may stress us out.
12. SOMETIMES YOU MIGHT HAVE YOUR NAILS DONE BUT LATER REMEMBER YOU NEED TO WASH YOUR KIDS CLOTHES
Doing laundry with well-done nails is never a good idea but it is something we cannot always avoid.